I’m a designer, product developer, consultant, and writer in Palo Alto, California, working on early-stage new-media and urban design projects. Formerly: research consultant at Stanford Media X; co-founder, Open Library of Humanities; Stanford HighWire Press; OCLC Online Computer Library Center; Openly Informatics.
.Other items of note:
- Social networking:
- I blog here and often Twitter at @tmccormick, usually about new media & urban design, scholarly communication, reading & discovery.
- I co-edited Rebooting the Academy: 12 Tech Innovators Who Are Transforming Campuses, published in July 2012 by The Chronicle of Higher Education..
- Before moving to Palo Alto in Jan ’12, I lived in Portland, OR for a year, and in New York for 14 years before that.
- I formerly worked for Stanford University’s HighWire Press, as Sr. Product Manager for Emerging Content.
- Previously, I worked at OCLC, Online Computer Library Center, in the Grid Services (i.e. Web Services) group.
- I’m a dual citizen of the U.S. and the U.K.
- I have two cats, Bao-yu (贾宝玉 / 賈寶玉 / Jiǎ Bǎoyù / Chia Pao-yu, “previous jade”) and Tai-yu (林黛玉 / Lín Dàiyù / Lin Tai-yu; “Blue-black Jade”). They are named for two main characters in the classic Chinese novel Dream of the Red Chamber (Hónglóu mèng / 红楼梦).
- Skype: tim_mccormick
Flickr-hosted photos 2005 to present
- Book wish-lists and readings lists:
Amazon wish list (more up-to-date / ephemeral, mostly books but other items also).
Books wanted (long-term).
Reading List (aka lifetime reading plan, not day-to-day)
My personal library catalogued on LibraryThing, sorted by most recent aquisitions first. 4000+ books. No, I haven’t read all of them.
my San Francisco / Bay Area Google map (some places of note to me)